The Mural Music & Arts Project works with the communities of East Palo Alto and eastern Menlo Park, in San Mateo County, California as well as San Francisco.
The city of East Palo Alto has a large immigrant community predominantly comprised of Spanish-speaking immigrants (57%). Of the respondents to the "One East Palo Alto Community Survey," 65% claimed that at least one person in their household was foreign-born.
East Palo Alto has historically been plagued by drug use and crime, and these two problems still rank high among neighborhood concerns today. According to the "One East Palo Alto Community Survey," 65% percent of the population reported that they feel unsafe in their community. 43% of the respondents said drug-related issues were their number one concern.
The One East Palo Alto Community Survey highlights educational disparities between East Palo Alto and the rest of San Mateo County. The most alarming statistic is arguably the percentage of high school graduates in EPA, which is 10.6% lower than the national percentage.
East Palo Alto's unemployment rate is 11.1%, almost four times higher than San Mateo County's rate of 4.4%. The median household income in East Palo Alto is only 58% of the county's median household income.
* Though the above demographic information was derived from a report on East Palo Alto, we believe that it accurately represents all of the teens we serve, including those not from East Palo Alto (i.e. East Menlo Park, Redwood City).
Ravenswood City School District
- Belle Haven Elementary
- Cesar Chavez Academy
- Constaño Elementary
- Green Oaks Academy
- Ronald McNair Academy
- Willow Oaks Elementary
- San Francisco 49ers Academy
- Los Robles Magnet Academy
- East Palo Alto Charter School
- East Palo Alto Stanford High School
- Edison Brentwood Academy
Sequoia Union High School District
- Carlmont High School
- Menlo-Atherton High School
- Sequoia High School
- Woodside High School
- Woodside Priory
- Luis Valdez Leadership Academy
- TMP Compton 2010 - Pilot 7/2010 - 8/2010
- Downtown High School
- International Studies Academy
- Starr King Elementary
- Ruth Asawa School of the Arts